top of page

Possession with Intent to supply a controlled drug

Under section 4(1) of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (MDA 1971), it is an offence for a person to have a controlled drug in his possession with the intent to supply it to another. The prosecution have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that:


  1. You were in possession of drugs, that is to say: in your custody or your control;

  2. The drugs are controlled drugs of categories A, B or C (see list of controlled drugs here); and

  3. You intended to supply the drugs to another.

Free Initial Telephone Discussion

For a free initial telephone discussion, please call us on 020 7404 3004 or email You can also complete our online enquiry form


We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This includes weekends and bank holidays. We can help clients based anywhere in England or Wales.


If you require urgent assistance, please contact us on our emergency number on 07738 802993.

People often do not realise that ‘supply’ is the simple act of passing or giving the controlled drug to someone else. There is no need for that person to do a ‘deal’, or profit from the supply, financially or otherwise. Just passing a joint or a wrap to a friend at a party would qualify as ‘supply’. Equally, a return of drugs to the original supplier would be a supply.

The possession with intent to supply of Class A drugs is one of the most serious offence and could result in a significant custodial sentence up to 16 years. The larger the amount involved, the most serious may be the sentence.

Even if such evidence is not present, a mere offer of drugs, made by words or by conduct, will be enough to support an allegation of ‘offering’ or ‘being concerned with the supply’ of controlled drugs.

Whenever there is a risk that you may face an allegation of possession with intent to supply, particularly when others are involved, it is your best interest to contact us at the earliest opportunity.


How can our Criminal Defence Solicitors help?

Our specialist team of Criminal Law Solicitors understand the need for urgent expert help if you are accused of drug possession. We act with expertise, professionalism and confidentiality.

How can I pay for my legal representation?

If you do not have the means to pay for your legal representation you may qualify for legal aid. Imran Khan and Partners are accredited by the Legal Aid Agency. We can apply for legal aid on your behalf and guide you through the application process.


We are also able to offer funding on a private basis. Contact us to discuss your funding options. 


How to get in contact


Contact us now on 020 7404 3004. Our specialist criminal defence solicitors can offer you a free initial consultation. Alternatively, email us at or complete our free online enquiry form at


We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


We can assist wherever you are based and have offices in central London.


We are also able to assist with police interviews at the police station. If you require urgent assistance, please contact us on our emergency number  07738 802993.


If you contact us on behalf of someone who is already in prison, please simply provide the name of the person, the prison number and any available detail. We will organise a legal visit with that person, whether face to face or by Video link.

bottom of page